Skip to main content

Custom Envelope Terms - What Do They Mean? Part 2

In my last post I discussed and defined some of the special nomenclature pertaining to envelopes, envelope manufacturing and envelope printing.

For someone who’s buying these products for themselves or their business, it helps if you can speak the same language as the envelope converter or any other company you might be dealing with.

Here are a few more common terms/descriptions you might encounter in the process.

Standard Commercial Sizes (in inches)

These apply to either regular/closed face (non-window) envelopes or window envelopes.

# 6 1/4 – 3 ½ x 6

# 6 ¾ - 3-5/8 x 6 ½

# 7 – 3 ¾ x 6 ¾

# 7 ¾ - 3-7/8 x 7 ½

(Note: 7 ¾ size is also referred to as “Monarch Size”.  There is sometimes a distinction in the flap size and style between the two but the overall size is the same).

# 8-5/8 – 3-5/8 x 8-5/8

(Note: This is sometimes referred to as “Check Size”.)

# 9 – 3-7/8 x 8-7/8

#10 – 4-1/8 x 9-1/2

#11 – 4 ½ x 10-3/8

#12 – 4 ¾ x 11

#14 – 5 x 11 1/2

As you can see, the description doesn’t always match the size.  Don’t ask me why a #7 ¾ envelope measures 7 ½ inches!  Sometimes things just get carried forward and no one questions it. 

Elite Envelope can provide a handy desk guide which lists these standard sizes.  If you’d like one, please click here.  No charge!

A – Style – “Announcement Style” – used primarily for greeting cards, invitations, etc.  It’s a side seam, booklet style envelope (see previous blog post!) with a deep square flap that usually covers about half of the size of the envelope.

Baronial Style – These are also used primarily for greeting cards and invitations. Baronial envelope usually have diagonal seams and pointed flaps.  There is a variation of these called “Euro Style” which has the pointed flaps but with side seam construction.

Remittance Envelopes – Also sometimes referred to as “Coupon Envelopes”.  These are open side, side seam envelope with a wallet flap that extends nearly to the bottom of the envelope.  They are used for payments and are very popular with fundraising appeals.  Sometimes the flap can be torn off with a perforation and used to send back in the envelope along with a payment.

Oh, and I mentioned in my last post that I would get into what’s meant by a “vertical window” placement on an envelope.  This is really just a regular window but is oriented differently on the envelope.  Vertical window means that the long dimension on the window runs perpendicular to the long dimension on the envelope.  So if you had say a 9 x 12 booklet envelope with a vertical window that measured 2” x 4” and you were holding the envelope with flap at the top, the 4” dimension of the envelope would run “north/south” .  This is very common with booklet style envelopes that require running through a postage meter or an inserter. 

If that last bit seems a little confusing still, feel free to contact me for a further explanation or I can send you a sample of the envelope.

Powered by PrinterPresence